- Some sources say Alvarez had 20 amateur bouts and others say his amateur record was 44-2.
- 2004 Junior Mexican National Championships Silver medalist.
- 2005 Junior Mexican National Championships Gold medalist.
Regional & Minor Titles
- Jalisco State welterweight title (2007-2008)
- WBA Fedecentro welterweight title (2008)
- NABF welterweight title (2009-2010)
- WBO Latino welterweight title (2009)
- WBC Youth World welterweight title (2009)
- WBC Silver super welterweight title (2010)
- Has a record of 10-1-0 (6 KO's) in world title fights.
- Has a record of 12-1-1 (4 KO's) against former or current world champions.
- Alvarez is the younger brother of Ramon Alvarez, Ricardo Alvarez and former interim WBA light middleweight champion Rigoberto Alvarez.
- Made his professional debut on October 29, 2005, just three months after his 15th birthday.
- Given the nickname "Canelo" (Spanish for cinnamon) because of his red hair.
- Alvarez tested positive for two drug tests after his bout with Gennady Golovkin. His rematch with Golovkin was called off. Alvarez later decided not to enroll into the WBC's clean boxing programme, and was therefore removed from their rankings.
Awards & Recognition
- 2010 ESPN Prospect of the Year
|WBC Light Middleweight Champion
2011 Mar 5 – 2013 Sep 14
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Lost bid for Unified Championship
|WBA Light Middleweight Champion
2013 Apr 20 – 2013 Sep 14
Lost bid for Super Championship
|WBC Middleweight Champion
2015 Nov 21 – 2016 May 18
|WBO Light Middleweight Champion
2016 Sep 17 – 2017 May
|Height:||5' 8" / 173 cm|
|Reach:||72 1/2" / 179 cm|
|Residence:||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Birth Place:||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|